Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Italia: Day Four

This morning I had to roll out of bed way too early. The alarm went off at 5:45 so that we could meet the group at the bus stop by 6:30 and head into Lanzo again. This morning we went to a cheese-making demonstration in a production factory. I was kind of surprised by how mechanical the whole process was. I guess I expected it to be a small hands-on place where almost everything was done by employees, but instead there were huge machines. I have to admit, the cheese was good though. We had a tasting afterwards and I couldn’t stop eating the cheese that we saw them make. The other two samples weren’t really my favorite though.

The demonstration was actually pretty boring, but all the same, I wasn’t glad when it was over because then we had to participate in a 5K walk to the town of Nole for lunch. The whole walk was put together by a fitwalking team, which is kind of like speed walking only with less speed. There is a whole method to it, but none of the team members spoke English and the translations were kind of off, so we could only pretend to know how to do it.

The lunch at Nole wasn’t very good. We had this weird cracker with cream cheese as an appetizer. I just ate the cracker and left the cheese. After all, by that point I had already had more than enough cheese for the day. Next there was a pasta dish with vegetables. I ate all of the pasta from mine and then swapped with Emily who had eaten all of the vegetables from hers. It worked out because I didn’t end up liking the main course of beef and tuna or the zucchini that came with it.

We went to a conference in Lanzo afterward with some of the teachers we met yesterday. It was incredibly boring and half of the group fell asleep while the other half spent the three hours coloring. 

We took our bus back to Turin and went out for dinner at this dining hall style place. It kind of reminds me of Smith Hall because you just walk up to the various counters and order your food then pay for it at the end. We butchered our way through and I’m definitely glad. The chicken breast was some of the best that I’ve ever tasted. It was amazingly juicy. I ate too much though. We got some gelato at a shop on the plaza afterward. All they had was giandju, so I ended up with that again, but it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment