Friday, May 20, 2011

Italia: Day Seven

Our hotel in Cagliari is really nice. It has a modern design to it and we are staying in triples, so I’m rooming with Becky and Chelsea. We took a Mercedes-Benz tour bus from the airport to our hotel and then we looked around real quick before heading up to the rooms and passing out. I've been exhausted this whole trip. It’s ridiculous.

The inside of The Hotel
This morning I got up at 7 and went for a run on my own. It was nice to see some of the town before everyone else and I did really good with not getting lost and remembering all the turns I took. Sometimes I think it’s easier to pay attention when it’s just me, the wind against my face, and the music in my ears. I can tune everything else out and focus on the next step.

The breakfast was really good too. There was some amazing bread in the hotel restaurant and I had some ham and cheese as well. We had to eat quickly though so that we could catch our bus to the university of Cagliari. It turns out that the students there don’t speak very much English compared to those in Torino and the language barrier was immediately evident. They gave us a tour of the school but we couldn’t communicate with them much because of it. The only thing that I was sure about was that they wanted us to come to a concert with them tonight near our hotel. They struggled through their translated presentation as well.

A sign on the back of one of the desks
Monkey watching the presentation
The lunch was amazing though. We just ate in their cantina, or cafeteria, but the pasta was the best that I’ve tasted. The beef and bread were okay too. The only thing I didn’t like was the oil that I put on my lettuce, but I should have predicted that.

Our presentation came after lunch. It was a lot to endure. We needed a translator for the entire thing to make sure all of the students understood what we were saying. It dragged on for over two hours once you accounted for the question and answer session that followed. We got to come back to the hotel immediately afterward though, so there was relief in that.

I took a nap for an hour and woke up when my mother called to say that I still haven’t received a check for my Holocaust grant in the mail yet. It was a good rest though.

I got ready and went with Pam to dinner at the il Pomodoro restaurant down the street. They had the most amazing pizza. It was a really strange experience though because we got our food at the counter and then sat down to eat. When we were done, we had to pay for it and remind the woman what we ate.

We walked around the streets near our hotel afterward in search of a gelato shop, but we couldn’t find one so we ended up having to go to McDonald’s and get McFlurry’s to meet our day’s gelato quota. I was actually surprised by how good the brownie bit McFlurry tasted. I made it chocolate ice cream essentially by mixing in the fudge to the vanilla and just had to suffer through the bits of chocolate.

Once we were done with our meal, we hung out in the lobby of the hotel and wrote our "homework" journal entries while sitting in the bar area.

No comments:

Post a Comment