Friday, May 27, 2011

Italia: Day Fourteen

Today, I got up at seven so that I could run out in the countryside one last time before leaving Italy. I ended up getting lost and, in the process, running past a cow crossing sign. It was really strange because I was in the middle of a vineyard. I didn’t know they kept farms and vineyards so close together.

After my run, I showered and was really disappointed that the hotel didn’t have any of the chocolate cake that I’ve been eating the past few days. I ended up indulging in some ham and cheese with a side of the mini pound cakes that I’ve been gorging on for the whole trip.

We took the bus into Parma for the day and were able to walk around the shops and see a new city. We went to a supermarket and I was able to buy some of the pound cakes I’ve been eating. They were actually really cheap though, only 88 cents per package of six. We stopped at a bar after shopping and had a morning drink. We bought our last Bacardi Breezers (not available in the United States) of the trip as well.

Parma
The streets of Parma
We showed back up at the bus and carried our breezers on, which may not have been the best idea considering we drove over to meat factory afterward and saw them packaging meat. The smell was terrible. I wanted to gag. They took us down into the meat cellar too and it only got worse. I was so glad when they told us it was time for lunch because it meant that I got to leave the smell.
The meat was literally touching the top of my head in the cellar
Lunch was actually pretty good. I sat next to the people who had joined our tour group. It turns out Jeff, who was on his honeymoon, is a small town farmer from a valley in Idaho. He was telling me a lot about cheap ways to travel, which gave me something to do during the meal.

I’ve decided that I really like risotto, which is a rice dish with various things added into it. We had it for lunch yesterday and today and I couldn’t get enough of it. I really liked this meal in general though, except for the meat. The pasta was divine and they provided us with tons of white wine and the best bread ever. It was so greasy, buttery, and delicious - something that I've noticed severely lacking in Italy to this point.

The delicious risotto
After the meal, we headed back to the hotel to chill out for a couple of hours. We left just before five to go over to Andrea’s house again for a demonstration on how to make pasta. It was boring watching his mother make the pasta, but I got the recipe in case I ever want to make pasta:

Ingredients:
400g flour
3 eggs
Make volcano shape with flour
Windy/winter - about 1tsp olive oil
Add about half cup of warm water also

Instructions:
Use fingers to draw eggs and flour together
Knead with heel of hand and thumbs for about 10 min or until smooth
Wrap in saran wrap and let sit for 10 min
Roll dough until paper thin
-and-
Wait 1-2 hours for pasta to dry
Can then cut into shape
-or-If stuffing pasta, put spoon sized piles on dough when still moist
Roll dough to cover mounds
Cut dough from roll
Make sure to close all sides

Cook 8-10 min on high, will float to top when done

Mixing the ingredients

Adding the stuffing
Shaping the pasta
The group after making pasta

After the demonstration, we went back to Bar Roma, where we had lunch the other day, and had a much larger dinner that involved some delicious chips. I have missed my salt. I’m just now realizing Italian food doesn’t involve much of it.
The inside of Bar Roma
I’m ready to go home tomorrow though. Italy is not my place. It’s nice and all, but I much prefer Ireland or at least a colder climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment