Monday, August 9, 2010

Ireland: Food is Love

This morning, we woke up at seven and took showers before heading down to the continental breakfast. I had cereal (rice krispies, which they called rice bubbles) and sweet, homemade Irish bread. We packed up after breakfast and headed to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. It was a long walk and we ended up just wandering around the church once we got there.

After we were done at the church, we walked over to Dublin Castle to see the free sand sculptures. The castle was pretty, but we couldn’t go inside because we didn’t have time for a guided tour. We took some pictures and moved on to the Christ Church Cathedral, which was the same boring experience. However, when we asked where the bathroom facilties were, we were directed to the crypt. I got to pee and then nap in a crypt :p

When we went back upstairs to explore, they told us we were in time for the peace prayer, so we had to sit down for a few minutes and listen with our heads bowed. I fell asleep.

Once it was over, we went out to get lunch. We stopped in a tourist store on the way and I tried on a boa in the colors of Ireland. It was cute but expensive, so I just took a picture. We walked across the street for lunch at Café Werburgh. I got chocolate ice cream, a chocolate chip muffin, and a tortilla wrap with Cajun chicken and swiss cheese. It was an amazing meal for less than seven euros. We took our lunch to a park so that we could eat with pretty scenery. I would have been fine eating in the café though. It was very cute in design and had authentic customers.
The quirky cafe

Cajun Chicken Tortilla Wrap

Pretty park in the business district

We set off on a long walk after to head to Kilmainham Gaol Museum but once we got there we found out we had to wait an hour for a tour, so we walked to the park across the street and took naps. We walked back to gaol when it was finally time for our tours.

The guy took us around the gaol and told us all about Irish history. I was disappointed that he didn’t tell us more about the gaol itself like they did at the gaol in Cork.
A car that we passed on the way to the gaol... quite an interesting garden


After the tour, we broke into dinner groups. Some of the group decided they wanted to go see an Irish dance performance, but I didn’t want to stay out that late or sit through the performance and fancy dinner, so we formed a seperate group. We went to small touristy store where I was able to find a white zip-up sports coat and an adorable sheep umbrella. After leaving the store, we headed back to the Temple Bar area in order to find a restaurant to dine at.

After looking at a couple of menus, we decided to go to a quiet place called O’Shea’s. I ordered a southern fried chicken with chips and a side order of bread. It was actually quite good and I walked away stuffed.

On the way back to the hostel, we stopped in a small market and I bought a package of penguin bars. They were really good at the camp, so I thought I would take some home. I’m running short on money, so my purchases from now on will be solely food, hopefully.

Well, I’m ready to crash early tonight so I can enjoy my last day in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment