Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ireland: The Play's the Thing

I had rice bubbles and toast for breakfast this morning.

We went to Trinity College first thing after leaving the hostel. The college grounds were so pretty. I took some pictures but we didn’t get to linger because we had to get in line to see the Book of Kells. The exhibit was really boring and I couldn’t even take pictures to pass the time. So lame! We sped through it and the souvenir shop before going outside to people watch. The rest of the group took a really, really long time!

We walked to St. Stephen’s Green and ate our packed lunches of rolls, ham, and cheese. There were apples too. I took some pictures of the lake as we wandered over to the National Museum of Archaeology. I really didn’t want to go the museums. They’re free because they are so boring. Instead I plugged in my headphones and wandered around. 

We made sure to feed the birds at St. Stephen's Green

Pharaoh exit sign at the National Museum of Archaeology!
Next we went to the National Gallery. The building was really pretty, but we never ventured past the cafe.

We went shopping on Grafton Street after the museums. I didn’t buy anything, but we did get some ice cream and stop in a store with wifi so that I could find out how much is left on my visa. We met back up with the group and went to dinner at Supermac, which is a fast food joint like McDonald’s. I had a chicken wrap and fries. The wrap part was gross because it was a corn tortilla, but the chicken was alright. For desert there was hard-served, chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone. It was delicious! Best Irish ice cream ever.


Following dinner, we walked over to the Abbey Theater and got to see Sean O’Casey’s “The Plough and the Stars”. It was a really boring play that I ended up falling asleep during, but a cultural experience nonetheless.



After the play, we took the bus back to the hostel. Apparently, we’re staying in a shady part of town so we couldn’t walk back because we would get mugged, even if we were travelling in a large group of twelve. I took a shower and packed everything up. I’m so ready to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment