Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ireland: Hamburger Helper

The Air Canada plane ride to Ireland was really peculiar. I couldn’t bring myself to fall asleep on the plane, but that’s okay because they served us a meal midflight. The dinner consisted of a fruit cup, brownie, noodles, chicken, and a roll. The food was actually really good!

After dinner, they came around to offer all of the passengers nightcaps. I was surprised when the flight attendant offered me wine, but I declined. It didn't sound like it would be the best idea if we hit any turbulence. I read for most of the plane ride and then they gave us banana muffins and orange juice in the morning.

We waited forever in the customs line, to the point where I noticed their exit signs are a lot different here. We decided to pose underneath a sign for a picture. It’s going to be our thing while we’re here.

Our exit sign pose
After leaving the airport, we got on a bus headed toward Cork. I fell asleep almost immediately and didn’t wake up until we stopped for lunch. I tried a chargrilled chicken pita with chips from the Burger Bar. The chicken was good but I didn’t realize the pita was going to come with a ton of stuff on it. The bread wasn’t very thick either, which was a bummer. I tried the chips with vinegar and salt, but it wasn’t very good and neither was their tomato ketchup, so I just ate them plain. Our bus trip continued until we arrived at the hostel, which is actually quite nice.

My Chargrilled Chicken Pita from the Burger Bar
After dropping off our luggage, we went to explore St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral. It was really boring, but pretty to take pictures of outside. I bought two postcards of Cork while we were there. We stopped at a park near the hostel on our way and were able to take some really scenic pictures. Afterward, my travel group broke off to buy some groceries for the hostel, but we ended up getting lost and wandering around the city.

A peculiar tree found in the park.

The University of Cork, right near our hostel

St. Fin Barre's Cathedral
We carried the groceries back and the other group had dinner ready. It was hamburger helper – the most disgusting thing that I’ve ever eaten. Needless to say, I’m still hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment