Saturday, September 8, 2012

Coastal Tour


We went on a bus tour today of the coast South of Sydney. I really had no idea what the trip actually consisted of, except for free lunch, so my expectations were probably too high. In the end, the trip amounted to much more than 5 hours of driving with very little actual sightseeing. What we did see was pretty, but I think I’m already getting too used to the sights around here. Things certainly aren’t breathtaking anymore.

The morning started off with a stop at McDonalds for coffee. I found it kind of strange that inside the McDonald’s there was a separate pastry/coffee counter from the regular food counter. After the group ate, we stopped at a lookout right on the coast. We took a few pictures, but it was super windy and it felt like we were going to blow off the cliff, so we didn’t stay long.

Sarah and I's shadow
Next up was a Buddhist Temple. I don’t really know anything about it, but the grounds were nice. We couldn’t take pictures inside, but it looked like pretty much every other Buddhist temple that I’ve seen in my life J

The Pagoda
Interesting looking plant outside
The main temple
Then we stopped at another rocky outlook/park. This one had a hole in the rocks where the pressure from the tide would cause the water to blow up into the air. Our tour guide called in the blow hole. There was a lighthouse too, but it wasn’t very large and/or pretty, just basic white.

The blow hole -- I couldn't get a good action shot
We picked up lunch in town. I was highly disappointed because the e-mail about the trip from our campus coordinator had said lunch was included but our guide just dropped us off. I was glad that the prices out in the tiny town were much cheaper than Sydney, but it still cost me $8 for an order of fries and an ice cream. I was really annoyed though that when we got back to the bus and were taken to our “picnic” spot to eat there was a group of people cooking sausages for us. We were told to buy lunch, yet then there was free lunch anyways. I was already full from my fries so I didn’t even get to partake in the sausages, which probably would have been a much better means to satisfy my hunger. Our guide definitely miscommunicated.

After lunch, two people from the national parks office came to talk to us about aboriginal culture. We learned about a couple of plants in the area that are safe to eat and actually have health properties. I can’t remember what any of them were, but she gave us some leaves to chew on that were supposed to help with dehydration and showed how to use water and leaves to make a cream to clear up pimples. The guy showed us some of the weapons available to hunters and taught us how to throw a boomerang and play the didgeridoo.

Demonstrating on the didgeridoo -- I believe he was imitating the emu call at this point 
On the way home, we passed a random fudge and toffee self-serve station on the side of the road. The deserts were just sitting in a refrigerator with a little box for money on the bottom. It was bizarre. A bunch of the girls bought some though. We also stopped at a national park at the top of a hill with an outlook over a waterfall. It was pretty but hard to take pictures of because of the sun’s intensity.

Literally, the middle of nowhere

Morton National Park
Fitzroy Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment