Sunday, September 9, 2012

Open House Sunday


I went to the Rose Seidler House today, which was built by Harry Seidler, an Austrian famous for his architecture. He has contributed quite a few buildings to the Sydney skyline, as well as building this house. The area around the house is beautiful and smells of hickory smoke because at this time of year they are burning some of the bush in the surrounding area to prevent uncontrolled summer bush fires. It smelt amazing as soon as I stepped off the bus.

I was basically in the middle of suburbia though, so my friend Ed who lives near the house joined me with his dad’s car. We took the short tour through the house and watched a video downstairs about the architect. I found it fascinating, but I could tell he was bored (as most guys would be). I was really excited to find a wallaby in the backyard though!

Rose Seidler House
I believe this is a wallaby
We drove over to the nearby Bobbin Head National Park afterward and wandered around for a bit. There were quite a few people there since it was a weekend in the middle of the day and all of the picnic tables were full. We wandered about ten minutes into the bush though and found a shady place to sit and hang out. I was startled when we first sat down because a huge lizard crawled out from under the rock and I thought it was a snake. There was a lot of interesting looking flies and mosquitoes around too. I think it’s because we choose to sit next to a stagnant-looking creek, but it was weird to see the different sorts of bugs they have in Australia.

Bobbin Head


It’s also nice to know someone with a car, as I saved much time and money instead of taking the bus. I also have no idea how I would have caught the bus home from where we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment