Friday, July 13, 2012

Fiji Ain't No Place Like Home


Airplane Dinner + How I Met Your Mother


Fijian Dollars
Fiji is different, that’s for sure. We arrived just before 5am this morning following a ten hour flight over the Pacific Ocean and after walking down the covered, but no enclosed ramp to the main airport, we were greeted by traditionally dressed Fijian men who were serenading us. It was quite a bit much, in my opinion. Especially for five in the morning, but whatever, I’m sure it was some people’s cup of tea.

Our hotel is basically three feet from the airport. We could walk if we wanted to, but they provide a shuttle service. The downside to this is that the hotel is absolutely nowhere near town. So our first free day in Nadi, amounted to sitting around the pool, drinking the Fijian version of a Mike’s Hard Lemonade until lunchtime.

Panoramic view from our hotel room

Another view from the other side of the balcony

The pool from our front balcony

Our hotel room in Nadi
Speaking of lunch, I ate lamb today. That’s right, I actually consumed an animal that was not chicken. I had no idea what it was until after it was already in my stomach, thankfully, but still I think that’s impressive. Something tells me that Fiji is going to be full of adventurous food choices. I don’t think the hotel breakfast will hold me off all day, even if it does include unlimited peanut butter and bread :) They also have a decent supply of ketchup!

To save us from our boredom, our group leader in Fiji led us on a 30-minute ride into Nadi after lunch. Apparently, this is the last day for the town festival, so droves of people were heading into town. The public bus ride was quite cramped and un-air conditioned. However, they do seem to like American party tunes here because the bus was jamming to the point my ears started to hurt for the entirety of the ride.

Town was strange. It isn’t anything like what I would picture when someone says Fiji. In fact, it makes me think of India, minus some of the people. The drivers are crazy. The buildings are run down. And everyone is trying to sell you something. Granted, I guess that could easily describe parts of any American city as well. But let’s go with India. Especially since we walked through a temple on our brief tour around the city.

One of the streets we walked down in Nadi

The temple basically came out of nowhere

Most of the AIFS group I'm travelling with
The festival was quaint once we got there, but incredibly dusty and crowded (as you would expect on not only a Saturday but the last day of a national festival). We walked around and looked at the rides a bit, but nothing overexcited me. I took some pictures, but you’ll notice they’re fairly similar to the typical American carnival, albeit the rides might be a little older.
There were a ton of ferris wheels and they all went different speeds


There's an actual block of ice visible in the Snow Cone machine


One of the public buses in Nadi

No comments:

Post a Comment