Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Studying the Fijian Culture


My room is off of the kitchen, so I didn’t get much sleep last night. I went to bed fairly early because we didn’t have anything else to do, but the family was still up, so I didn’t get to actually fall asleep. I kept drifting in and out of sleep in the morning too because I could hear animals making noise and moving around outside. I finally got out of bed around 6:30 to get ready for our first and only day of classes at the University of the South Pacific.

Some of the campus buildings at USP

Traditional house built on campus -- apparently the roof is leaking right now

After a breakfast of egg salad sandwiches and cereal with warmish milk that I couldn’t figure out how to open, we drove to the campus. We had a total of four lectures today focusing on the climate change and globalization practices of Fiji. The lectures were interspersed with morning and afternoon tea breaks so that included some really good food. I finally got my chocolate cake :)

Lunch was basically inedible to me. I subsisted on some spicy chicken, but our afternoon tea had amazing banana bread so I was content. I had thought we might have to pay for lunch today, but that didn’t turn out to be true, so I was happy.

We were given sulus to wear on our village visit tomorrow and also met some of the school’s resident artists. A lot of the girls purchased pieces from them, but I’m just not interested in art to the extent that they seem to be. I mean, they were nice to admire, but I don’t want to spend the equivalent of $40 on something that seems abstract to me.

All in all, the lectures were rather difficult to sit though. The only one that involved a good deal of discussion irritated me because I felt like each comment someone in my group made was offensive to Fijians and their way of living. I also couldn’t get a word in edgewise and, even when I raised my hand, it seemed as if the professor was ignoring me. I’m not sure what was up with that.

After classes, we went back to our host family’s and Nina, who we’re now fairly sure is the housekeeper, took us for a walk along the sea wall. It’s really scenic and only takes about ten minutes to walk along it into town. I think I might go running along it tomorrow. The whole family has said it is very safe, so I guess I have my seal of approval.

Dinner tonight included this amazing, light, almost buttery rolls and breadsticks. I couldn’t stop eating them, which is good because the other food was a little spicy for my tastes. I had some more of the leftover chop sui from last night though; I just might be coming around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment